Teach your child how to think Edward de Bono
Critical thinking is good but it's not enough
6 thinking hats useful for a thinking session alone or in groups.
- White: facts neutral objective
- Red: emotions intuition gut instinct feeling
- Black: critical logical negative
- Yellow: sunshine optimism logical positive
- Green: creative possibilities growth ideas
- Blue: Meta cool thinking about thinking process agenda stepping back 10000 foot view overview
Start and end with blue. Try to have yellow before black as the reverse is too hard.
Five minute thinking format
Forward thinking v parallel thinking:
Then what then what then what
What else also? And what else also?
From CORT THINKING program for schools:
- CAF: Consider all factors
- What factors are there? Not the consequences just the set of factors
- APC - Alternatives possibilities choices
- OPV other people's views:
- Who is affected by this? What are their views?
- CNS - Consequences n Sequel
- PMI - Plus minus interesting
- PO - Provocation- announced. A thought counter intuitive as a provocation to consider different viewpoint
- AGO - Aims goals objectives
- FIP - First important priorities